Menstrual cramps are very common. Every woman has experienced the pain associated with menstruation or periods at least once in her lifetime.
From heating pads to massage ointments and even over-the-counter painkillers, women have tried almost everything to ease this cramping pain. Many have also tried CBD oil and reported it to be beneficial for treating painful periods. In case you are wondering, CBD is a component of cannabis. Yes, you heard it right!
A derivative of Cannabis Sativa plant, CBD has garnered a lot of positive recognition nowadays as an effective treatment for several ailments. CBD is getting famous for treating chronic pain, inflammation, epilepsy, and many other health disorders.
But is CBD safe for treating menstrual cramping? Well, this post will address this important question.
What Causes Menstrual Cramps?
The main culprit of menstrual cramps is prostaglandins. It is a hormone-like substance released from the uterine lining, which triggers contractions. These uterus contractions help the lining to detach and expel from the body. This is a normal process that takes place every month.
Prostaglandins can cause the feeling of pain, discomfort, and inflammation in the body. Higher levels of this hormone can lead to stronger contractions, leading to more severe cramps.
Apart from this, several other conditions may contribute to menstrual cramping.
- Endometriosis: This is a condition where the tissue that lines the uterus begins to grow outside of the uterine cavity.
- Ovarian Cysts: Cysts in the ovary may become very big, leading to excessive pain.
- Adenomyosis and Fibroids: The two are benign tumors that grow in or on the uterine wall.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease: This is an infection of the female reproductive organs, like the uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes.
- IUDs: Sometimes, women have an adverse reaction to IUDs. Their body begins to reject the device, resulting in extreme pain.
The Use of CBD for Menstrual CrampsExtensive research conducted over the past few years have pointed towards the incredible health benefits of CBD. One of the most common components of cannabis, CBD, is best known for its anti-inflammatory properties. You can find out more here and one source option here at online weed.
More insights: Check out this insightful article on the hidden disease affecting over 500,000 women in Canada.